Just Empty Every Pocket

JEEP - always a never ending project, no matter how built it gets.

Dedicated to my current jeep project, Red Beard, a 1997 Jeep Wrangler TJ. Nothing too crazy this go 'round, just an all around capable, get me out there with enough to get me back, type of rig. Keep watch for updates and changes!

Saturday, September 25, 2010

First few...


I knew as soon as I picked up the jeep, some things had to change, mainly the front bumper. I don't mind doing something different to stand out from a crowd but there is a reason people do things a certain way and avoid trying something new. 
Point and case, front bumper stingers. 

Round = Right
Square = Silly

I decided to chop off the stinger and leave the front end with a cleaner stubby, square tube main bumper. I think it makes the jeep look totally different, much better and larger actually. The massive stinger and the skinny tires seemed to combine to make the jeep seem miniaturized. While I was at it, I figured I'd chop off the suspect recovery points as well, better safe than sorry.

before:

after:

The jeep came with sway bar disconnects, but for some reasons they had a really really strange design that I just wasn't a fan of, and on top of that, some hardware was missing. The jeep drove well enough without the sway bars connected, but I didn't want to risk a high speed lane change without them.
Enter the JKS quick disconnects. 
JKS says they invented the quick disconnect, no idea if it is true, but their design works, and works well. My only complaint is when they are disconnected, I have to find a way to tie them up and out of the way when off roading. There is no holder made for this design, but it is nothing a heavy duty rubber band won't fix for now.


Another item on my immediate fix agenda was the dirty and funky interior of the tub. 
Jeeps come with carpet from the factory, which I understand for every model except the Wranglers. Every CJ, YJ, TJ and eventually JK will surely have the carpet ripped out and tossed because of the filth that collects in it. That is part of the beauty and genius of the Wrangler design, the play and rinse interior. Get it dirty, rinse, repeat, which is much more complicated with stank nasty carpets in the way. 
I tore out the remaining carpets, and proceeded to cover the tub interior with do it yourself bedliner by Rustoleum. This stuff isn't as strong as Linex that you have to spray in ( at least not in the 2 coats I was willing to put on), but maybe it is if you have the patience to roll on 10 coats. 


the results 
(note the light dusting from recent off roading :P )

I think I'll keep the rear seat out as well. With a wife that startles when the jeep flexes in the least (like mall curb flex), and with children too young to really enjoy a hot day out on the trail, I figure I am OK without it in there for now.  




No comments:

Post a Comment