Just Empty Every Pocket

JEEP - always a never ending project, no matter how built it gets.

Dedicated to my current jeep project, Red Beard, a 1997 Jeep Wrangler TJ. Nothing too crazy this go 'round, just an all around capable, get me out there with enough to get me back, type of rig. Keep watch for updates and changes!

Saturday, September 25, 2010

So it begins...



I recently decided to trade our old work truck, a 1974 Ford F250 XLT, for something more fun, more practical (at least that is what I keep telling myself), and much more my style; a 1997 Jeep Wrangler. The TJ came with a hard top, 4" Fabtech suspension lift, 4.88 gears, and 33x9.5x15 (yeah I didn't know they made them that skinny either) BFG All Terrain tires. It has a rebuilt 4cyl. engine that runs pretty good but is really different when compared to the 460 that roared in my old truck. The gas mileage is sure a much needed improvement though and it gets me anywhere I need to go.

As a member of an off road community here in Reno, I find it really useful to bounce my build ideas off my fellow local off road enthusiasts. Here is the build thread on a local forum I frequent and get tons of helpful info off of.

As far as the build goes, it won't be anything too serious, especially when compared to my last jeep build. I may, however, decide down the road the TJ needs a turbo for a little more pep, but I am getting ahead of myself.

the plan...


-figure out what axles I want to run - ????
-front and rear lockers (rear detroit, front selectable -maybe run ected for both)
-rock rails
-modify front bumper (maybe build an entirely new one)
-new custom rear bumper and swing away carrier
-rear corner armor (maybe front tube fenders too)
-33x12.5x15 tires
-beef up the roll cage
-upgrade lift components as needed (mainly front and rear upper control arms)
-SYE kit 
-hood louvers
-beefed up steering (style or brand depends on which front axle I end up with)
-winch
-some sort of tummy tucker kit for better clearance


The list isn't in any particular order of importance and it is by no means comprehensive. Hopefully it will give you an idea of what the jeep build will be like. Like I said, nothing too crazy or extreme, but I think it will be one capable jeep. 

Here is what it looked shortly before I bought it...



then the p.o. built a... bumper for it...


and some flex, but it actually flexes quite a bit better than this, which has me excited for the future.


There it is, the beginnings of project Red Beard





No comments:

Post a Comment